Monday 13 May 2013

Big Skies...

I have never used 120 for landscapes before, the aspect ratio of 35mm roughly matches the "classic" landscapes produced by artists over the years. But I must say that I was very pleased with the landscapes I captured on my first outing with the 120 pinhole camera. I was also shooting pinhole on 35mm, however, when you compare the images captured of similar subjects, I appear to be getting huge dramatic skies with 120 (compared with the 35mm images).

I have also experimented with mounting the 120 camera on the ground, rather than a tripod, to maximise the visual effect of the camera's infinite depth of field. The fact that the gravel two inches from the pinhole is as in focus as the clouds 3000 foot away is amazing.



One of the locations I visited on this particular shoot had a lot of badly corroded barbed wire, I thought that this added to the sense of isolation and mounted the 35mm pinhole camera close up to the wire. The effect is dramatic suggesting that you are being trapped from escaping back to civilisation. Again the infinite depth of field adds value to this image.

No comments:

Post a Comment