Monday 13 May 2013

Dark, Moody and Gothic...

The most recent photo shoot took place on the 7th May. Prior to this I had made a pinhole lens for my Nikon D3000 DSLR. The thing about using a digital SLR with a pinhole is that you get an instant image of what you have just shot, which on one hand is good as you can't see much through the viewfinder, however you are tempted to re-shot it again to get a better shot, by the time you've got a good shot you have forgotten what it is you were trying to do - OK that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get what I mean?!

One thing is for sure, the results I achieved using a 35mm film pinhole were as good or superior to those of the converted DSLR.

I also ran another roll of 120 film through the medium format pinhole, revisiting a number of locations and attempting to improve on images I had previously captured - this did not work out, none of them were better, some were the same but most were not. Lesson Learnt! I did however capture some images taken of a cliff face with some boulders in the foreground. The resultant image was perhaps the most moody and gothic I had achieved, ever:



Also captured was an image of the view from the top of the moor looking down to the fringe of the moor. The barbed wire in the foreground acts as a demarcation between the desolate part of the moor and the more scenic part on the fringes of the moor.





An example of how it is often a waste of time to improve on an image:



This image shows the Pennine Way stretching away to the horizon, straight as a die. This pathway is the only sign of human activity in this part of the moor (with the exception of the roads). I think it also represents a human scar on the landscape. 



No comments:

Post a Comment